Motorcycles may be more enjoyable and require less gas than cars, but they’re also easier for thieves to steal. Luckily with a bit of investing, you can boost the security of your bike to make it an unattractive target for thieves. Just follow these motorcycle theft prevention tips to get started.
- Avoid parking between tall cars because this gives thieves some visual protection. In fact, park in view of surveillance cameras whenever possible.
- Lock the ignition and remove the key when parking.
- Use a bike lock to tether your motorcycle to a heavy object that is difficult to dismantle. You can even lock several bikes together when possible.
- To fool thieves into thinking your motorcycle is in poor condition, loosen a spark plug cap or pull the main fuse after parking. Thieves work in a hurry and they often won’t stick around to fix a perceived problem.
- If you use a motorcycle cover, select one that is plain to avoid drawing attention to your bike.
- Store your bike in a garage or shed whenever possible. Be sure that your home’s alarm system is wired to the garage as well.
- If you must store your bike outdoors, position a motion-sensor light nearby to deter thieves.
- Add some sort of unique marking or install a tracking device on your motorcycle to aid in recovery if it is stolen.
- Keep your bike’s title, registration and insurance information on your person rather than on the bike itself. If it is stolen, having this information helps the police verify your ownership, plus a missing title can make it harder for thieves to sell.
Remember, a comprehensive motorcycle insurance policy helps cover your property and finances if you do fall victim to theft. Talk to your independent insurance agent to learn more about your coverage options today.
Our goal is your protection. Call Insurance Agent2000 at (925) 429-8811 for more information on Concord motorcycle insurance.