DOES MY POLICY COVER FIRE?

 

The fires in the State of California are on the forefront of everyone’s mind.  Several clients have called to confirm that they do have coverage for fire on their insurance policy.  We would like to put your mind’s at ease.

For homeowner’s, renter’s and dwelling fire policies, including policies with the California Fair Plan the first thing that is covered fire.  Additionally, if you have a business policy that includes property coverage (building coverage, business personal property coverage, etc) the first thing covered on that policy is also fire.

If you are concerned about how much coverage your have and if it’s adequate, please call our office.  We are more than happy to review your coverages with you.   This is part of the service we provide at no additional cost to you.

MINIMIZING FIRE RISK-

Now that you know that your policy does cover loss by fire, we’d like to address ways you can lower your risk of fire.  Some things you should take a look at around your home or business are:

1. Extension cords-Are they worn?    How long have you had them?   Although there’s not an expiration date on the, if they are older it’s best to replace them.

2. Are you still using appliances that have been recalled?  Check https://www.cpsc.gov/recalls to see if any of your appliances (Microwaves, lamps, washer, dryer, oven, lamps, etc) have been recalled.

3. Do you use space heaters?   If so, how old are they?   If they are older it’s best to replace them with new models.   Also be mindful of where they are placed.  Make sure they aren’t near curtains, furniture, rugs or blankets.   They radiator type heaters are safer to use.

4, Check your clothes dryer for a build up of lint.   The lint is quite flammable.  Your exterior dryer vent should be thoroughly cleaned at least once a year.

5. Are any of your outlets loose?  This could indicate a loose wire or that the outlet needs to be replaced.   If you have a loose outlet call a professional electrician or handyman to replace the outlet.

6. Do you like to service your cars yourself?  If so, do you have a pile of oily rags in your garage?   That pile of oily rags can spontaneously combust.    It’s best to dispose of those rags or if you want to reuse them hang them out to dry outside before laundering them.

7. Are you a amateur woodworker?   If so, don’t let sawdust from your saw pile up.  It is very flammable.  Clean It up immediately after you’re done each day.

8. Do you love toast in the morning?  Well the accumulation of crumbs in your toaster can create a fire hazard.  Make sure they don’t accumulate.  Clean your toaster frequently.

9. Do you use powdered non-dairy coffee creamer?  Did you know that it’s flammable?   So keep your coffee creamer away from open flames.

10. Make sure your smoke detectors are all in working order.  If not, replace them.

11. We recommend you have a fire extinguisher in your home, garage and business.   The fire extinguisher should be in an easily accessible place.

12. If you have brush around your home clear it to a minimum of 100 feet or to your property line, whichever is greater.

With the holidays approaching here are a few more tips to reduce fire risk during the holidays-

1. Live Christmas trees are highly flammable, especially as the season goes on and they dry out.  Non-flammable artificial trees are safer but if you just can’t stomach having an artificial tree make sure your live tree is freshly cut.  And unplug the lights over night and when no one is home.

2. Make sure there’s plenty of clearance around any candles.  Keep other objects at least a foot away.

3. Just like extension cords, the cords on your Christmas lights wear out over time.  Inspect them each year and if they are more than a few years old replace them.  Also, LED lights are safer than incandescent.

4. Make sure you clean up wrapping paper right away.  Leaving it lying around leaves more flammable material in your home.

5. If you have a fireplace don’t leave it unattended.  Have your chimney inspected each year before lighting that first fire of the year.  And when cleaning your fireplace make sure there are no smoldering embers left before your begin cleaning.  And always sweep the fireplace ash into a metal container just in case you missed some embers.  Leave the ash in the metal container, away from the house, at least 24 hours before putting in your trash.

AGENT2000, Commercial and Personal Insurance Brokers.

Click here if you have questions.

Posted 4:00 PM

Share |


No Comments


Post a Comment
Name
Required
E-Mail
Required (Not Displayed)
Comment
Required


All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Required
CAPTCHA
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
 
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2011


View Mobile Version